NStEP is delighted to announce the launch of a new online module: ‘Governance and Student Representation‘. NStEP’s online self-study modules form a core component of the Student Training Programme, which can be accessed via the Student Portal on our website. Students create an account and are free to take any module. Online modules are ideal for class representatives looking to pursue further development opportunities and students that are active in student engagement and partnership activities. Each module is self-study and takes approximately 30 minutes to complete – they are designed to be fully flexible and can be completed at any time.
The new module ‘Governance and Student Representation’ was inspired by one of our very own student trainers, Megan Griffin, after she attended one of our National Student Engagement Network (NSEN) events which included a talk on student governance by former USI Vice President for Academic Affairs, Kevin McStravock.
The module will explore governance in Irish higher education, key Irish organisations working in the tertiary sector, the importance of meaningful student representation and active membership, and includes valuable tools and resources to support student representatives sitting on institutional committees and working groups. One such resource is our brand new Governance and Student Representation Toolkit, which can be found embedded within the module and on our Student Resource Hub. The toolkit will also be available in print on request. Although this module is aimed at students, it would also be beneficial to Student Union officers and institution staff.
Upon completion of the module, students will be able to:
- Outline and describe the Irish higher education system and its structures, including key higher education organisations
- Outline and describe various institutional committees and staff members, and their roles
- Identify the importance of student representation and active participation within a higher education institution, at the committee level
- Implement the resources provided within your role as a student representative
- For institution staff or Students’ Union officers – better support and empower your student representatives, and foster meaningful student-staff partnerships
Other training modules available on the NStEP website include: ‘LAPS Strategy for Representation‘ ‘Understanding the Student Learning Experience’ and ‘StudentSurvey.ie and You’. The completion of any online module counts towards the requirements to achieving a Student Engagement Recognition Award for Academic Representation.
If you have any questions about our online modules, please contact the Development Coordinator, Rachael Sarsfield Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Don’t forget – booking is open for Students’ Unions and HEIs to book NStEP Introductory Class Rep Training!
Sessions can be booked using the training request form.