About the Project
Postgraduate Student Engagement in Decision-Making: Fostering Connected Learning Communities report and accompanying five case studies can be found on our Resource Hub.
Naomi Algeo reflects on the findings of the consultative report
This report is the result of a collaborative consultation with postgraduates, higher education institutions, students’ unions, higher education agencies and national organisations, and other stakeholders across Ireland. Postgraduate student engagement in decision-making, or the role that postgraduate students play in staff-student partnerships, is an under-explored aspect of student engagement. NStEP Postgraduate Discussion Forums and wider conversations across the sector aimed to identify areas of good practice, challenges and enablers to postgraduate participation, and the ways in which NStEP could support enhancement for both students and staff.
So, what did we find?
- The establishment of postgraduate research training or resources for engagement in decision-making and/or representation.
- The need for postgraduate representation structures to be nurtured within institutions.
- The establishment of a staff network specifically for postgraduate student engagement across institutions in Ireland.
- The need for recognition opportunities for both staff and postgraduates to participate in student engagement processes.
- And finally, the future facilitation of some or all meetings or opportunities for engagement online.